Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A Novel Idea


I have no idea if I will do this very much, or very often, or ever again. We'll see how the first one goes. But I was thinking how I'd like to share the excitement of my upcoming trip with my friends and family, but not on Facebook. So I thought I'd try a blog.

Andy blogs, Kelly blogs, what the heck, I'll give it a whirl. But I will only blog nice things, not mean things. I'll be honest and not hurtful. I won't be that blogging teacher. (Was that mean?)

So my trip. I'm on a count down right now. 18 days until we leave for Barcelona! 21 days until embarkation (a word I never thought I'd use) aboard the Serenade of the Seas for a spectacular trip in the Mediterranean, stopping in Cannes (Monte Carlo), France; Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy; Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy; Naples (Salerno), Italy; Venice, Italy; Koper, Slovenia; Split, Croatia; and back to Barcelona, Spain.

With regard to leaving this country I have only been to the Caribbean--St. Maartin, Barbados, and Bahamas. Andy has only been to Costa Rica, Puerto Rico,  and Canada. I have been to Canada too, but it was so long ago, I don't think it counts. I was 7 at Expo '67 in Montreal. I remember nothing except being extremely hot, wanting a drink, and my mother saying, "Swallow your spit." HAHA! I've also been to Campobello Island--FDR's summer retreat--is that Canada? I think so. 

Anyhoo, this trip. Sooo excited, a little afraid of the long over-the-ocean-flight, and wondering/hoping/praying that the captain of the boat doesn't get drunk and tank it in the drink! Andy updates me frequently of the catastrophes in Italy of late. "Venice had 2 earthquakes, 20 are dead." "Venice is in the midst of a tornado." Fun guy, that Andy.

I'm focused on Italy, because it is at the top of my Bucket List. I often thought that maybe in another life I was Italian. I adore their food, love their accent, imagine the scenery (from movies, paintings, books) to be exquisite--or shall I say squisito! 

But I'm also excited for Barcelona! I've been perfecting my Cath-teel-yun acc-thent! I can't wait to try real paella! And see the Gaudi architecture! And cruise Las Ramblas with all the shops! There's a famous cathedral that has taken 100 years to build-still in progress of being built, I should say.  Can't wait to see that! 

Cannes/Monte Carlo, home of the rich and famous, the renown film festival, naked sunbathing, Princess Grace! Dear gawd, I'm crazy just thinking about it!

Trust me when I say I realize how lucky I am to be taking this trip. 

It all began when my former grade level partner, who is now my future grade level partner (confusing, I know) and dear friend Lisa said to me last May, "Would you consider going on a cruise with us to the Mediterranean?" 

"YES!"

That was the just the beginning!







No comments:

Post a Comment